By Jessica Berman
A significant other to Virginia Woolf is an intensive exam of her existence, paintings, and a number of contexts in 33 essays written through top students within the field.
- Contains insightful and provocative new scholarship and sketches out new instructions for destiny research
- Approaches Woolf’s writing from quite a few views and disciplines, together with modernism, post-colonialism, queer concept, animal reports, electronic humanities, and the law
- Explores the a number of trajectories Woolf’s paintings travels worldwide, from the Bloomsbury workforce, and the Hogarth Press to India and Latin America
- Situates Woolf reports on the leading edge of up to date literature scholarship and the recent modernist studies
Read or Download A Companion to Virginia Woolf (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
A suite of quotations from Canada’s maximum literary theorist. "There isn't any Canadian author of whom we will say … that their readers can develop up inside of their paintings with out ever being conscious of a circumference. " Northrop Frye got here to that end after an in depth learn of the imaginitive achievements of Canada’s writers from the earliest interval to 1965, whilst that sentence from his research first seemed in print.
Renowned advertisement fiction emerged within the 19th century, with serialised novels and sensational penny dreadfuls. this day it is still a multi-million buck giving excitement to many, however it can also be a box of starting to be curiosity for students and scholars of literature. This spouse covers the key advancements within the background of well known fiction, with in particular commissioned chapters on pulp fiction, bestsellers, and comics and photograph narratives.
This can be a literary dialogue of one-half of Zane Grey’s Westerns, chosen to most sensible convey the extensive scope of this well known author’s pursuits within the West. The textual content explains how those novels “work,” whereas declaring Grey’s ecological problem for the common world—its vastness, colour and wonder. Wild nature presents a robust environment yet is a determinant of motion and of personality too.
Miniature Monuments: Modeling German background bargains a chain of essays on small-scale versions of bombed out towns. Created among 1946 and the current, those plastic renderings of locations supply eerie glimpses of destruction and devastation ensuing of the air battle. This examine hence allows clean angles on post-war responses to the compounded losses of WW II, and it does so via contemplating those “miniature monuments” (of, between others, Frankfurt, Munich, Schwetzingen, Heilbronn and Hiroshima) in a deep cultural background that interlaces the 16th, eighteenth, and 20th centuries.
- Thinking Allegory Otherwise
- Heinrich Heine, Joseph Conrad, and Conrad's Fiction
- Women and Sexuality in the Novels of Thomas Hardy
- Muriel Spark: Time in her Fiction
- Tony Hillerman's Landscape: On the Road with Chee and Leaphorn
Additional resources for A Companion to Virginia Woolf (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)