By David Seed
- This Companion conveys the size and diversity of technological know-how fiction.
- Shows how technology fiction has been used as a way of debating cultural issues.
- Essays via a global variety of students talk about the contexts, issues and strategies utilized by technological know-how fiction writers.
- Addresses common themes, corresponding to the historical past and origins of the style, its engagement with technology and gender, and nationwide diversifications of technological know-how fiction round the English-speaking world.
- Maps out connections among technology fiction, tv, the cinema, digital fact expertise, and different facets of the culture.
- Includes a piece targeting significant figures, resembling H.G. Wells, Arthur C. Clarke, and Ursula Le Guin.
- Offers shut readings of specific novels, from Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein to Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale.
Read Online or Download A Companion to Science Fiction (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
A suite of quotations from Canada’s maximum literary theorist. "There isn't any Canadian author of whom we will be able to say … that their readers can develop up inside of their paintings with no ever being conscious of a circumference. " Northrop Frye got here to that end after a close examine of the imaginitive achievements of Canada’s writers from the earliest interval to 1965, whilst that sentence from his research first seemed in print.
Well known advertisement fiction emerged within the 19th century, with serialised novels and sensational penny dreadfuls. this present day it is still a multi-million buck giving excitement to many, however it is additionally a box of growing to be curiosity for students and scholars of literature. This better half covers the main advancements within the historical past of well known fiction, with in particular commissioned chapters on pulp fiction, bestsellers, and comics and image narratives.
It is a literary dialogue of one-half of Zane Grey’s Westerns, chosen to most sensible express the vast scope of this renowned author’s pursuits within the West. The textual content explains how those novels “work,” whereas stating Grey’s ecological quandary for the traditional world—its vastness, colour and sweetness. Wild nature presents a strong atmosphere yet is a determinant of motion and of personality too.
Miniature Monuments: Modeling German background bargains a chain of essays on small-scale versions of bombed out towns. Created among 1946 and the current, those plastic renderings of areas offer eerie glimpses of destruction and devastation ensuing of the air warfare. This learn therefore allows clean angles on post-war responses to the compounded losses of WW II, and it does so via contemplating those “miniature monuments” (of, between others, Frankfurt, Munich, Schwetzingen, Heilbronn and Hiroshima) in a deep cultural historical past that interlaces the 16th, eighteenth, and 20th centuries.
- 'Königtum' in der politischen Kultur des spätrepublikanischen Rom (Beiträge zur Altertumskunde) (German Edition)
- Maria Campbell: Essays On Her Works (Essential Writers Series)
- Edith Wharton's The Custom of the Country: A Reassessment: Volume 3 (Gender and Genre)
- Ethics and Politics in Modern American Poetry (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
Additional resources for A Companion to Science Fiction (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)