By Ali Behdad,Dominic Thomas
- Features over thirty unique essays from best foreign contributors
- Provides a serious evaluation of the prestige of literary and cross-cultural inquiry
- Addresses the historical past, present country, and way forward for comparative literature
- Chapters handle such subject matters because the courting among translation and transnationalism, literary thought and rising media, the way forward for nationwide literatures in an period of globalization, gender and cultural formation throughout time, East-West cultural encounters, postcolonial and diaspora stories, and different experimental ways to literature and culture
Read or Download A Companion to Comparative Literature (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
A suite of quotations from Canada’s maximum literary theorist. "There is not any Canadian author of whom we will say … that their readers can develop up inside of their paintings with no ever being conscious of a circumference. " Northrop Frye got here to that end after a close learn of the ingenious achievements of Canada’s writers from the earliest interval to 1965, whilst that sentence from his research first seemed in print.
Renowned advertisement fiction emerged within the 19th century, with serialised novels and sensational penny dreadfuls. this present day it continues to be a multi-million buck giving excitement to many, however it can also be a box of starting to be curiosity for students and scholars of literature. This spouse covers the foremost advancements within the heritage of well known fiction, with in particular commissioned chapters on pulp fiction, bestsellers, and comics and image narratives.
This can be a literary dialogue of one-half of Zane Grey’s Westerns, chosen to most sensible convey the wide scope of this renowned author’s pursuits within the West. The textual content explains how those novels “work,” whereas stating Grey’s ecological problem for the typical world—its vastness, colour and wonder. Wild nature presents a strong atmosphere yet is a determinant of motion and of personality too.
Miniature Monuments: Modeling German background bargains a chain of essays on small-scale versions of bombed out towns. Created among 1946 and the current, those plastic renderings of areas supply eerie glimpses of destruction and devastation ensuing of the air struggle. This research hence allows clean angles on post-war responses to the compounded losses of WW II, and it does so via contemplating those “miniature monuments” (of, between others, Frankfurt, Munich, Schwetzingen, Heilbronn and Hiroshima) in a deep cultural historical past that interlaces the 16th, eighteenth, and 20th centuries.
- Evolution: From Molecules to Ecosystems
- Literature and Subjection: The Economy of Writing and Marginality in Latin America (Pitt Illuminations)
- What Is Fiction For?: Literary Humanism Restored
- The Unimaginable Mathematics of Borges' Library of Babel
Extra resources for A Companion to Comparative Literature (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)